Miller Sands enthusiastically support staff in further training and advancement of their careers.
Many of our staff have been here for a significant amount of time.
Job Title – Private Client Solicitor
Working within the private client team, dealing with wills, lasting powers of attorney, estate administration and all other client matters as required and detailed below.
Client Service/Case progression
• Ensure all new client matters are opened within seventy-two hours of initial instructions, except for where money is paid upfront. These files must be opened within forty-eight hours of instruction.
• Ensure that accurate and legible contemporaneous notes are kept of all meetings and telephone conversations.
• Ensure all client contact requests are responded to within seven days (emails and letters) and forty-eight hours (phone messages)
• Ensure that all matter ledgers are cleared within 30 days of the matter being completed, and ensuring that the file is archived in a timely manner
• Make sure any advice given is in the best interests of the client
• Discuss any expressions of client dissatisfaction with the head of department as soon as possible. Where this is a formal ‘complaint’ these must be in writing and addressed to the COLP and recorded on ‘Compliance’.
• Make full use of the Isokon system to record all details, assets and transactions in estates
• Adherence to the Terms and Conditions, sent to the client.
• Ensure money on account is taken before undertaking the work if there are any concerns about the client’s ability to pay our invoices
• Ensure any cheque payments received are passed to Accounts on day of receipt.
• Regular (ideally monthly) billing on all matters, where the work flow dictates.
• Ensure that any aged debt is discussed with the Accounts Manager on a monthly basis and remedial action taken
• Ensure that all money received on probate matters are reconciled accurately on Isokon as soon as possible
• Minimum initial financial expectation is three times multiple of salary, which will be reviewed every year during appraisals. This is to achieve the overall pre-set target
• Aim for 70% of all time recorded, is chargeable
• Financial performance will be judged on profit costs received, rather than profit costs rendered
• Ensure that all probate fees are recoverable. If there is any doubt obtain an upfront payment to cover these fees.
Training continuing competence
• Responsibility for adherence with the SRA continuing competence regime for training, using the SRA record template.
• Keep an accurate and up to date record of all training undertaken.
Compliance and Risk Management
• Comply with the firm’s procedures from time to time for risk management and compliance.
• Ensure that all sections are completed within a week on Compliance Manager for all matters.
• Report any compliance breaches to the COLP or COFA as appropriate
• Comply with the firm’s AML procedure
• Ensure practising certificate is kept up to date
• Ensure details on MySRA are up to date
• Ensure compliance with the Solicitors’ Accounts Rules
• Take advantage of all cross-referral opportunities within other departments
• In conjunction with the marketing committee, actively volunteer potential articles and blog post ideas for internet and other marketing avenues
• Engage on social media, as appropriate
• Champion the private client department at all networking events, both internally and externally
• Build up and maintain relationships with key multipliers and clients
• Championing the firm and its services through all marketing and networking opportunities, and internet-based media.
• Work closely with marketing in relation to private client.
• Performance will be judged on business development to the business.
• Comply with any responsibilities as detailed in the employee handbook
• Comply with the firm’s equality and diversity policy and any other policies detailed in the employee handbook
All enquiries to Martin Fox-Cooper, Practice Manager