Noise and nuisance

Noise and other nuisance can adversely affect the quality of our lives but fortunately, there are some legal remedies available.  Noise in particular can be a serious problem dealt with by calling the local authority, who have environmental health officers with noise meters.  They can, if satisfied that there is a problem, bring a criminal prosecution to stop the noise-makers. Landlords can sometimes be approached to force troublesome tenants to curb their activities.  This is an implied condition of all tenancies.

Nuisance is a more general interference with one’s right to enjoy life.

In either case the civil courts deal with applications.  The usual remedy is an injunction, or order that the conduct complained of must stop.  Disobedience is contempt of court, punishable in principle by imprisonment.

Speak to us by telephoning 01223 202 345, or e-mail Virginia Lloyd sometimes the problem can be resolved by negotiation.  Every case is unique.

“Thanking you for your excellent and personal service.”
- Mrs S. N, Milton