Change of name 

You can change your name at any time provided you do not intend to deceive or defraud. There is no specific legal procedure to follow but evidence of the change may be required by government agencies, such as the Passport Office or DVLA, to enable them to verify your new name and update their records. 
You are free to make changes to your forename, surname, add names or rearrange existing names. Depending upon the purpose for which it is required the evidence varies and can include a letter from a responsible person, a public announcement, or a statutory declaration and a deed poll (otherwise known as a Deed of Change of Name). 
Miller Sands have experience in drawing up Change of Name Deeds which will provide you with the necessary documentary evidence of the change to your name. 

Changing your Child’s Name 

This can occur at any time, and for any reason, provided it is not intended to defraud or deceive. There is no legal procedure but all people who need to give their consent must do so. Prior to the name change, please ensure that you consult your solicitor as there are possible legal restrictions. 
If you are under 16 years of age, your consent does not have to be given for your name to be changed. However, if you object to your name being changed, you can apply for a court order to prevent the change, provided the court is satisfied that you have sufficient understanding of what is involved. 
If you are under 16 you cannot change your surname without parental consent. 

Our Family Law Team 

If you would like further information, or would like us to draw up a Deed of Change of Name on your behalf, please telephone 01223 202345 or email 

Get in touch  

Our site uses cookies. For more information, see our cookie policy. Accept cookies and close
Reject cookies Manage settings